Posted: 26 October 2021
The Hatch Fund is not a registered investment, legal or tax advisor or a broker/dealer. All investment/financial opinions expressed by The Hatch Fund are from personal research, analysis and experience of the owner of the site, and are intended for educational purpose. Please conduct your own due diligence before relying on the opinions presented on the site for your investment use. If in doubt, please seek advice from your legal, financial, tax, or other professional adviser(s). In the event that you choose not to seek advice from such advisers, you should consider whether the product in question, or any course of action recommended, is suitable for you. While best efforts are made to ensure the quality of our content, The Hatch Fund will not be liable for any gains/losses arising out of any recommendations made.
Subscribe to our newsletter at the end of each post to get updates on the latest posts if you like what you read. As always, your readership is greatly appreciated!
Disclaimer: In the interest of full disclosure, when you sign up for a moomoo trading account with my affiliate link in this article, I will also receive a cash incentive from FUTU Singapore. While this article is written in collaboration with FUTU Singapore Pte. Ltd. the interests of my viewer’s remain front and centre to me.
In an attempt to broaden The Hatch Fund’s reader base, this article serves as a short primer on how to get started with investing. It is aimed at getting people to explore and think more deeply about the topic of personal finance, saving and investing. So if investing is new to you, you have come to the right place. I will keep the information as easy to understand as possible to help you get started on your investing journey.
In case you are new to investing and you missed our starter’s guide to investing, you can find it below:
Welcome Bundle with additional Twitter Bonus!
From 19 October 2021 at 20:00 hrs SGT till 8 November 2021 at 09:59 hrs SGT, users who sign up via this link will get to enjoy the following:
- 180 days unlimited commission-free trading for the US, HK & SG stock market
- Free access to Lvl 2 Market Data for the US stock market
- Free access to Lvl 1 Market Data for the SG stock market
- Free access to Lvl 1 Market Data for China A Shares market data
- Deposit $ 2,700 & above will receive SGD 200 Stock Cash Coupon Bundle
- Deposit $ 8,000 & above will receive 1 Twitter (TWTR) share worth ~S$85 (Only valid for new users who have not deposited before, 19 October 2021, 2000hr SGT)
Just by, (1) signing up with moomoo via this link, and (2) depositing more than SGD2,700, users will already stand to earn approximately SGD200 of benefits!
You can also transfer your portfolio into your FUTU SG securities account to enoyo more rewards!
First Transfer-In Reward (US & HK stocks only)
- 【SGD 50,000 – SGD 99,999】Receive 1 AAPL share (~SGD 195)
- 【SGD 100,000 – SGD 199,999】Receive 2 AAPL shares (~SGD 390)
- 【≥ SGD 200,000 】Receive an iphone13 (256GB ,~SGD 1,469) 50 sets only, once this is fully redeemed, clients will receive 3 AAPL shares instead
Sign-up link: https://moomoo.com/en-sg/act/welcome?channel=1002&subchannel=446 or click below!
1. What is moomoo powered by FUTU ("moomoo")?
moomoo is a trading platform that is a subsidiary of NASDAQ-listed Futu Holdings (FUTU), backed by world-class strategic investors including venture capital affiliates of Tencent, Sequoia Capital and Matrix Partners. Futu Singapore Pte. Ltd. (FUTU SG), which licensed and regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, offers products and services via moomoo.
Who is Futu Holdings ?
Futu Holdings Limited operates an online brokerage and wealth management platform in Hong Kong、Singapore and US. The company provides trading, clearing, and settlement services; margin financing and securities lending services; and stock yield enhancement program. It also offers online wealth management services under the Futu Money Plus brand, which gives access to mutual funds, private funds, and bonds; market data and information services; and moo Community, which serves as an open forum for users and clients to share insights, ask questions, and exchange ideas. In addition, the company provides initial public offering subscription and employee share option plan solution services to corporate clients under the Futu I&E brand; and services, including trade execution, as well as margin financing and securities lending, which allow its clients to trade securities, such as stocks, ETFs, warrants, options and futures, across different markets. Futu Holdings Limited was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
Futu has 43 licenses globally in major financial markets such as United States, Hong Kong, Singapore and others. It also has a 129.3% increase in total revenue year-on-year to US$203.1 Million, representing 6 consecutive quarters of triple-digit growth. In Singapore, capital markets products and services on moomoo are offered by Futu Singapore Pte. Ltd. licensed and regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) (Licence No. CM101000).
Since launching FUTU for 9 years, Futu’s trading platform has garnered 16 million users from more than 200 regions around the world, with more than one million average daily active users.
moomoo is one of the fastest growing investor community in the region which enable investors to stay abreast of latest investment trends.
2. Is trading via moomoo safe?
While being backed by highly reputable investors and holding multiple operating licenses globally, as well as with the MAS, provides the level of assurance and safety when investing with Futu. In Singapore, capital markets products and services on moomoo are offered by Futu Singapore Pte. Ltd. licensed and regulated by the Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) (Licence No. CM101000).
Now, let’s take a deeper dive into their financials to check for ourselves.
As seen above, the bulk of Futu’s revenue comes from commission fees received from its brokerage accounts. Over the past three years, Futu has steadily grown its customer base with the no. of deposited users growing from 133k person in 2018 to 517k person in 2020. This comes on the back of aggressive marketing / advertising campaigns which now costs about 20% of the revenue.
Futu 1H21 net profit/total revenue rose 221%/333% yoy to HKD3,781/1,696mn. In 2Q21, Futu’s number of paying clients increased, but client asset turnover fell significantly, which caused its revenue growth to come in lower than expected.
Futu’s number of paying clients net increased 0.21mn in 2Q21 (of which c. 50% came from Singapore), up 227% yoy but down 23% qoq, due to the weaker market business climate. Futu achieved the 1 million paying client milestone at end-2Q21.
When compared to its peers, Futu is also experiencing one of the fastest revenue and net income growth. However, it is worth noting that Futu is one of the most highly levered brokerages when compared to its peers.
Moreover, the saving grace is that FUTU has been able to generate high levels of free cash flows to service its operational expenses, capital expenditure and mandatory debt repayments to keep the firm running and growing.
3. Key features of the moomoo trading platform
Now that we have a good background of the company, let’s now explore some of the key features on moomoo app. Here are some key features that make moomoo powered by FUTU a compelling trading platform to use:
- Stay on top of global financial news and detailed analysis of stock price fluctuations with moomoo’s 24/7 financial news headlines and Earnings Calendar.
- Global Investment Community to leverage on. The brightest ideas often come from collective thinking. Much like websites like the infamous “wallstreetbets” or “seekingalpha.com”, moomoo has its very own online community of about 16 million users where people share and discuss trading insights.
- Professional Trading Analytics Tools that help you with technical analysis / charting, keep track of your options portfolio, and provides insights on your profit and losses from your investments.
- Funds Security – Invest with a peace of mind as U.S. securities are protected up to USD 500,000 by the SIPC in the event of financial failure of the brokerage.
- Research Tools to help you to screen and select your own stocks to invest in. These include company introductions, announcements, financial reports, ratios and analysis, conference calls, and competitor research.
- Competitive Pricing Platform which does not charge any custodian fee and offers a 180-day commission-free unlimited trading if you sign up with this link now!
- 24 hours customer service with additional customer service support available. Within the moomoo app, customers can use an in-app live chat function via “customer service” where a customer service representative will attend to your queries. If that’s not enough, queries can also be submitted in-app “Help Center”, hotline (+65 6321 8888 (working day:24 hours, Weekdays: 9am – 9:30pm)), email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and social medial platforms (@moomoosingapore).
Overall, the verdict is that Futu SG offers a very attractive proposition for people who are looking to sign up a new brokerage account. Given the current intense customer acquisition conducted by various brokerages, retail investors like you and me should take advantage of these promotions and get the rewards with minimal effort needed.
For new or existing investors, the current sign-up bonus is a pretty good deal to start your portfolio with moomoo powered by FUTU.
Even with existing trading accounts elsewhere, I have also signed up and started trading via moomoo – enjoying the competitive rates (esp. for local stocks) and the useful technical tools.
The current Welcome Bundle promotional SGD 200 stock cash coupon bundle only lasts until 8th November 2021 0959hr (SGT), so do start sign up and open your FUTU SG securities account via the moomoo app and start trading as soon as you can!
4. How to Sign up
Terms & Conditions of Promotion
- Only new users who has not deposited /transfer-in shares before , 2 October 2021, 2000hr SGT, can join this promotion
- Users can start to transfer-in their shares during campaign period & will need to keep their assets till 30 November 2021. All eligible Transfer-in reward will be credited on 30 November 2021
- Commission-free trading is not applicable for stock options, futures and China A shares.
- Stock Cash Coupon Package will be allocated into user’s FUTU SG securities account and will be activated over a 0, 30, 60 days from allocation date.
- The iPhone 13 will only be mailed only to a Singapore address
Step 1: Sign up using this affiliate link. (https://moomoo.com/en-sg/act/welcome?channel=1002&subchannel=446)
Step 2: Click on “Deposit Now” button
Step 3: Set up your moomoo account ID
Step 4: Download the moomoo app on your phone and log in.
Step 5: Set up and open the trading account with FUTU SG and wait for it to be approved.
Step 6: To be eligible for the promotional SGD 200 Stock Cash Coupon Bundle, you must complete an initial deposit of at least SGD 2,700 (or HKD 16,000 or USD 2,000), and you can get 1 Twitter(TWTR) share with deposited SGD 8,000 by 8 November 0959hr (SGT)
Since there is 180 days of commission-free trade, there is no need to worry about incurring any additional costs!
For users who wish to preserve their initial capital, buying ETFs like the SPY (S&P500 index fund) would be a good start.